What is the MYP?
The International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme provides the framework for the curriculum at Hartsdown Academy, throughout Years 7-9. It provides the academic challenge that encourages students to embrace and understand the connections between traditional subjects and the real world, and become critical and reflective thinkers. The programme:
- encourages international-mindedness in IB students, starting with a foundation in their own language and culture;
- promotes a positive attitude to learning by challenging students to solve problems, show creativity and resourcefulness, and participate actively in their communities;
- reflects real life by providing a framework that allows students to see the connections among the subjects themselves, and between the subjects and real issues;
- supports the development of communication skills to encourage enquiry, understanding and language acquisition, and to allow student reflection and expression;
- emphasises, through the learner profile, the development of the whole student – physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically.
- is exciting, innovative, meeting students’ personalised needs, satisfying all National Curriculum requirements and providing a framework for all national qualifications and accreditation, including GCSE.