We are a mixed secondary school with 1,100 students approximately 200 of whom are in our sixth form. We have 30 plus students who join us from other local schools. Hartsdown is a great place to learn, work and grow with the town and seaside of Margate on our doorstep.
We endeavor to develop the potential for all our students with a wide programme of subjects offered at different academic levels. We work towards each of you leaving here as a more confident and happy individual ready to face your next challenge.
We welcome students from other schools and make sure they are integrated into our sixth form by offering support buddies.
The post 16 provision offers a range of one and two-year courses in a variety of subjects; these may be combined to meet your specific needs. We have a supportive, friendly and well-resourced environment plus a developing enrichment programme.
The entry Requirements for Advanced Level are at least 5 Grade A- C passes at GCSE in different subjects. Please note that in some subjects a B grade is required.
The 6th Form Council continue to have an impact on the wider school and we encourage students to become restorative justice practitioners and Year 7 readers which provides vital evidence for career CVs or personal statements evidence.
Selecting the right courses at post 16 is crucial and you will be supported with this decision. Once you have applied through the UCAS progress website in Year 11 an interview will be arranged to discuss the courses chosen and any changes that maybe required.
- Brand new purpose built Independent 6th Form Study Area, ICT suite and classrooms; with considerable ICT equipment.
- 6th Form Pastoral and Study mentor
- Careers and links to external career advice
- Strong links with Christchurch University Canterbury.
- Thanet Skills Studio; offering vocational course including a health and social care, motor vehicle, construction and an engineering workshop.
- We have a fabulous state of the art media studio.
- We operate from 8am to 5pm with late night study booked in every term.
- Each faculty area has supportive and expert staff who are not only highly skilled and caring also provide study time outside of school hours within their specialty areas to catch up on work.
Learners have moved in the past from our 6th Form to local Apprenticeships, University or Level 4 in East Kent or Canterbury Colleges, Employed Work or Further Education.
We have links with many employers and work experience is supported and encouraged as part of your programme.
Finally a comment from our Ofsed inspection in March 2014
The sixth form is described as “good”, and Ofsted say “in this area of high economic deprivation in 2013 all sixth form leavers entered employment, further training or higher education.”